To compete effectively, business leaders today need to analyze operational and back-office data across myriad sources to make more informed decisions. In asset-intensive industries, visibility into asset performance and product quality, for example, can help an organization reduce its overall production cost per pound and even create additional capacity and reduce capital outlay. Coupled with predictive capabilities, companies can often reduce their overall cost structure, maintenance spend, and avoid unnecessary downtime.
The path to market leadership, however, goes beyond the decision-making capabilities in software. Companies must control the quality and cost of every factor of production — including the use and care of production facilities and the logistics involved in acquiring raw materials and distributing output. Analytics-based applications focused on asset utilization can alert everyone — from individual contributors to line managers to corporate executives — to what’s working and what isn’t. Even more importantly, predictive analytics can tell you what soon won’t work and what you should do about it. Companies at the forefront of business intelligence (BI) for operational integrity can reduce procurement and maintenance costs by leveraging BI integration with asset management.
Data-based decision making improves day-to-day operations and drives substantial benefits for asset-intensive organizations. For example, risk identification and mitigation can directly impact the bottom line. You can only perform risk analysis as fast as you can get information on asset performance. When deviations occur but are not reported, an opportunity to fix the piece of equipment and optimize performance is missed.
Predictive analytics provides the ability to proactively manage asset maintenance and improve workforce management by exploiting patterns found in historical, transactional, and real-time data to identify opportunities, mitigate risks, and enable preemptive capacity planning. It eliminates poor asset utilization, low maintenance efficiency, and high maintenance costs, and can also decrease the risk of environmental, health, and safety incidents.
To achieve performance improvements across the enterprise, organizations must pursue a strategy that combines an enterprise-wide approach to BI along with the proper technology to power this approach.
A Single-Window Approach to BI Excellence
Companies should adopt a single-window approach to BI that incorporates comprehensive, industry-specific analytics along with necessary IT transformation solutions. Without a single view of relevant data and a consistent, enterprise-wide understanding of its meaning, different groups or systems may produce different answers to the same questions.
The first step of the single-window approach is to establish the information model. This defines a comprehensive BI strategy that will positively affect enterprise performance. The strategy to implement this model and approach needs to identify the following:
- The needs of people who enable, produce, and consume information
- Various contextual processes, including information governance processes, analytical processes, and decision processes
- The platform capabilities required to deliver real-time BI insights
Next, you must define the information landscape that relates to the business model of an organization. Data silos often spring up organically — different business units may implement their own projects independently, or could have been acquired via a merger. Either way, organizations of all sizes must combat the proliferation of data silos. The content, quality, structure, and definitions of the data in these silos are as variable as the silos themselves.
The final step is to implement a BI and big data analytics solution that simplifies the complexity of the information landscape and enables the organization to achieve operational excellence by providing role-based, actionable intelligence.
Rolta OneView Enterprise Suite
Rolta OneView exploits the cutting-edge features of SAP HANA to deliver an advanced BI and analytics platform (see Figure 1). Backed by the power of SAP HANA, the solution handles big data to provide lightning-fast real-time operational analytics, predictive analytics for maintenance, reliability and risk management, as well as spatial analytics for asset management.
Rolta OneView delivers a precise, holistic view of an operation’s overall effectiveness and efficiency, including the real-time production data that operations managers need to achieve improvements. It brings unique business value to all levels of management through role-based, actionable insights and correlated real-time operational and business key performance indicators (KPIs). It breaks down the fundamental barriers to achieving operational and business excellence, such as silos across operational networks for business, safety, and sustainability. Rolta OneView provides a 360-degree view of the enterprise and touches the nerve center of all critical functions.
This innovative solution simplifies information complexity in the enterprise by providing loosely coupled yet comprehensive integration across operations and business systems. Solution modules cover a wide spectrum of cross-functional areas, from operations and maintenance to human resources and finance.
Rolta OneView allows companies to achieve the following benefits:
- Accurately understand overall equipment effectiveness. The Rolta OneView connector framework provides the ability to combine various data sources that are required to identify areas that contribute to the loss of production or plant efficiency and poor utilization at the asset level.
- Identify gaps in processes by reconciling data among multiple source systems. This enables a plant’s management team to make changes to relevant areas and fosters an environment for a cross-functional team approach.
- Proactively plan and control operations by bringing in data in real time. This allows users to drill down to find root causes when falling short of reaching business goals.
- Minimize quality deviations and eliminate bad actors. Rolta OneView KPIs provide the framework to stack-rank risk and compare it to the mean time to repair to ensure efficient and effective management of assets.
- Improve safety performance and regulatory compliance. Rolta OneView helps organizations adhere to regulatory standards in health, safety, and environment. By monitoring data from around the enterprise, managers are better aware of any issues that could lead to regulatory non-compliance and can address them before they become a catastrophe.
- Reduce cost of products. The solution provides actionable information that allows you to improve quality on both a product and plant basis.
Rolta OneView for SAP solutions provides quick and accurate data analysis in dashboard format, making it possible to visualize business trends and make decisions based on current and predictive scenarios. It enables organizations to streamline business processes, minimize risk, better predict work load, and enhance business strategy. Rolta, a global SAP partner, is a strategic original equipment manufacturer (OEM) vendor, integrating its numerous industry solutions with platform technology from SAP. Rolta is the 2014 SAP Pinnacle Award recipient for OEM Partner of the Year, recognized out of 21,000 partners for the most strategic level of innovation and the fastest new product introductions. For more information, visit www.rolta.com/oneview-sap.