When most people think of business intelligence (BI) analytics, they think about front-end applications that produce colorful charts and graphs that help visualize vital business information. Without high-performance software capable of analyzing zettabytes of data on the back end, however, front-end applications would be useless.
With its in-memory technology, SAP HANA is the essential back-end analytic appliance that informs all SAP BusinessObjects BI solutions. While SAP HANA is crucial to SAP analytics tools, SUSE Linux Enterprise Server for SAP applications gives SAP HANA a solid, optimized platform on which to operate.
Improved Performance and Uptime
Performance is a fundamental requirement for analytics applications. To keep up in an ever-changing business environment, organizations using SAP HANA rely on its ability to perform analytical processing with lightning speed. SUSE Linux Enterprise Server for SAP applications optimizes the Linux paging behavior for applications that require large amounts of memory, which results in performance gains for SAP applications.
Because critical analytics data is needed in making business decisions, it must always be available. SUSE Linux Enterprise Server for SAP applications offers improved uptime for SAP HANA with the following functionality:
- SUSE Linux Enterprise High Availability Extension provides an integrated clustering solution for physical and virtual Linux deployments, enabling highly available Linux clusters and eliminating single points of failure.
- Resource agents SAPHana and SAPHanaTopology, which are standardized interfaces for a cluster resource, ensure the disaster tolerance of the SAP HANA system and enhance the SAP HANA system replications setup, thus enabling companies to use their SAP HANA databases without interruption.
- The live kernel patching technology, delivered through SUSE Linux Enterprise Live Patching, allows IT staff to update security patches without rebooting machines and without waiting for the next service window.
It’s also easier than ever to achieve these benefits due to the shorter deployment times that are now possible. The SUSE Linux Enterprise Server for SAP applications installation wizard provides a guided, automated installation workflow that seamlessly integrates the installation of SAP applications with the installation of SUSE Linux Enterprise Server. The wizard requires almost no interaction after the workflow begins, reducing installation times from days to hours.
Critical analytics data is needed in making business decisions; it must always be available.
Optimized for SAP HANA
Since 2011, SUSE and SAP have worked to constantly improve the scalability and high availability of SAP HANA. To ensure high availability and disaster recovery, SUSE Linux Enterprise Server for SAP applications provides:
- Automation of SAP HANA systems replication using resource agents SAPHana and SAPHanaTopology: With this feature, organizations can choose between cost-optimized and performance-optimized failover scenarios to ensure the high availability of SAP HANA system replications.
- The Operating System Security Hardening for SAP HANA Guide:1 This guide describes in detail how to protect SAP HANA from a database perspective. It also refers to security concepts for other connecting layers that are separate from the SAP HANA database (network and storage layers, for example).
SAP and SUSE offer priority support through a variety of options. Organizations can receive support electronically or by phone 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Plus, they can instantly access all of the latest fixes and patches through a separate, dedicated channel. SUSE will continue to effectively support SAP HANA, which in turn supports all of SAP’s analytics applications. For more information, visit www.suse.com/promo/sap/hana.
1 See www.suse.com/promo/sap/hana/security-guide.html. [back]