Tip Doctor, Insider Learning Network.
This tip comes from Scott Wall's BI 2011 presentation in Las Vegas, “Case Study: Lessons from Deloitte’s move to a fully virtualized SAP environment”.
Virtualization has been a trending topic as of late and Scott Wall offered some top lessons learned through Deloitte’s adoption of virtualization, including these 7 tricks:
- An SAP Basis/Netweaver Administrator supporting systems on VMware needs to understand how VMware works just like they need to understand how OSs and DBs work
- SAP systems running on VMware have specific requirements so some of the general VMware best practices do not apply to SAP systems
- Managing SAP systems in a VMware environment is an on-going process. As more systems are added to the shared environment, you need to constantly monitor the overall performance of the cluster and the performance of the individual VMs.
- Rightsizing VMs is critical. You need to monitor each of your VMs to make sure they are allocated only the required amount of resources.
- It is very easy in VMware to add additional resources to a VM. Adding resources to a VM may not necessarily increase the performance of the VM if
there is not additional physical capacity available.
- Hardware has a major impact on performance. The latest processors from both Intel and AMD contain enhancements for virtualization that provide significant performance increases.
- Powershell & PowerCLI are great tools to provide visibility into the performance of the cluster and VMs to all team members. They can also be used to automate many tasks.
More information, tips and advice on virtualization are available on Insider Learning Network's BI and IT groups.