Tip Doctor, Insider Learning Network.
These tips come from Kathleen Cooke’s BW 2011 presentation, “Tools and Techniques to Determine a Successful BI Roadmap for Your Organization”.
With so many BI offerings from SAP and (so many methodologies for optimizing them), it can be hard to define a business intelligence strategy of your own. These tips are intended to help you shape, define, and move forward with a BI strategy designed to meet your team’s unique requirements.
1. Have BI workshops that:
- Shows management what SAP NetWeaver BW tools are and what they can do
- Gives concrete examples of SAP NetWeaver BW applications related to their work or business
- Gives guidance on what should be done and when
- Asks management business questions to test their readiness for the SAP NetWeaver BW projects
- Asks management what their key performance indicators (KPIs) are
2. Assess your resources
User’s level of technical knowledge
- Skill sets available in the business
- Do we have resources that know how to use SAP NetWeaver BW?
- Do we have a PM available?
- Does our Basis resource know SAP NetWeaver BW?
- Do we have the capacity to start a BI initiative?
- Are my user’s knowledgeable of the SAP source data, transactions, reporting, etc.?
- Existing technical infrastructure
- Do I have hardware available to implement SAP NetWeaver BW?
- Funding available $$$
- How much funding is available – for a small business content implementation for a given area, or cubes that are customized?
3. Obtain buy-in from stakeholders
- Create a Business Intelligence Competency Center (BICC)
- Establish project priorities with key stakeholders
- Obtain funding and support for BI initiatives
- Establish standards, including change management procedures
- Align BI strategy to overall IT strategy and enterprise goals
4. Build the infrastructure
- Determine the technical infrastructure needed for your overall BI strategy
- For example: How many servers and what size they are (get your hardware vendor to help, using SAP’s recommendations)
- Estimate the growth of your SAP NetWeaver BW servers for the next few years (your SAP NetWeaver BW system may eventually be bigger than your SAP system)
- Determine what you need by what tools you will deploy – SAP NetWeaver® Portal, SAP BusinessObjects, etc.