Anyone talking about SAP HANA inevitably comes back to its point of emphasis: speed. Speed of system performance, speed of analysis, speed of data transfer: Whether using HANA in conjunction with SAP ERP or SAP NetWeaver BW, the impetus for the appliance is its ability to process data quickly and make it available to those who need it accurately and in a timely manner.
One way companies can take advantage of such speed is by using special accelerators designed to improve certain processes. An example of a HANA accelerator is the CO-PA Accelerator, which, as Karol Bliznak of SAP AG and Carsten Hilker of SAP Labs explain in their SAP Professional Journal article, "Speed Up Your Profitability Analysis Performance with SAP HANA's CO-PA Accelerator," "allows you to adopt a highly innovative in-memory solution in a non-disruptive fashion, protecting your IT investment and delivering long-term value and continuous improvement to your business processes at the same time."
Karol and Carsten go into technical detail about the CO-PA Accelerator, and deliver best practices related to two use cases: using it for SAP ERP drill-down reporting or with SAP BusinessObjects BI front ends. Before they get into these use cases, they describe some of the
prerequisites for using the CO-PA Accelerator:
A team of SAP professionals with the following skills can lead the implementation of the CO-PA Accelerator:
- Understanding of SAP HANA general architecture, schemas, and authorizations
- Understanding of SAP Landscape Transformation (SLT) or SAP BusinessObjects Data Services (depending on the data replication scenario selected)
- Prior knowledge of SAP ERP Central Component (SAP ECC) CO-PA configuration, reporting, and allocations
- Knowledge of SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence (SAP BusinessObjects BI) 4.0 (for the profitability reporting with SAP BusinessObjects BI front ends via SAP HANA scenario only)
You need the following SAP releases for the CO-PA Accelerator. SAP has made the CO-PA Accelerator capability available to accelerate SAP ERP reporting and allocations in all SAP ERP 6.x versions:
- SAP ERP 6.0, 6.01, 6.02, 6.03, 6.04, or 6.05 with the respective SAP NetWeaver version (7.0, 7.01, 7.02, or 7.31)
- Kernel 720 with a patch level greater than 92 including the necessary Database Shared Library (DBSL) for the SAP HANA database. For using the ERP reporting scenario of the CO-PA Accelerator with SAP ERP 6.0, 6.01, 6.02, 6.03, or 6.04, an upgrade to the downward-compatible kernel 7.20 is required. This replaces the current kernel 7.00 or 7.01, respectively.
- SAP HANA database client installed on all application servers
- SAP HANA 1.0 Support Package Stack 2 and higher
For the complete article, SAP Professional Journal subscribers can go here. For more information about SAP Professional Journal, go here.