Scott Wallask, SAPexperts
As we round the corner to the big BI 2012 conference next week in Las Vegas, I thought it would be fun to pair up SAP BI functionality and features with some of the memorable hotels and casinos that comprise the Las Vegas strip:
- SAP BusinessObjects Dashboards (formerly known as Xcelsius) — The Planet Hollywood hotel seems a good fit for this software, given that before a recent name change and spruce-up, the hotel was previously known as the Aladdin. And even before the huge towers of the new Aladdin were built on the site, the old-school version of the Aladdin was a lower-lying casino that had cache among long-time fans of Vegas. The old Aladdin and Xcelsius share a story, as both are still fondly remembered even though by name, they are long gone. (Suggested BI 2012 session: “Case study: An inside look at McKesson’s deployment of SAP BusinessObjects for its financial dashboard and analysis requirements”)
- SAP HANA — The in-memory technology of SAP HANA reminds me of the new CityCenter Las
Vegas property, which features a series of hotels and attractions along with technologically advanced design. Looking at CityCenter can leave you in awe, and early reports on SAP HANA also indicate an impressive experience. The marks that both may leave remain to be seen, however. (Suggested reading: BI Expert’s latest series of HANA articles)
- SAP NetWeaver BW — Much of the modern-day Las Vegas strip seems to be built on the back of Caesars Palace, given what the resort accomplishes with its size, pomp, and architecture. The same can be said of NetWeaver, which continues to lay the foundation for much of your SAP BI environment. Upcoming SAP HANA integration will build upon NetWeaver BW’s role. (Suggested BI 2012 networking opportunity: Dan Kearnan of SAP will talk about the HANA roadmap with NetWeaver during a special session at the SAPexperts booth on Thursday, March 1 at 11:30 a.m. PST)
- SAP BusinessObjects Planning and Consolidation — Just about everyone, including many SAP employees, refers to the planning and consolidation application by its old, outlawed initials: BPC. Similarly, the TI hotel is known by many still as its former name, Treasure Island. In both cases, it is a tale of abbreviations gone awry. (Suggested reading: “If I could use the initials BPC, I’d tell yo
u about new Web client features”).
- SAP NetWeaver Business Warehouse Accelerator (BWA) — There is some talk that SAP HANA may outdistance BWA in terms of improving NetWeaver performance. Yet depending on the size of the data you need to analyze, BWA may give you more at a cheaper price. BWA would be at home in the Flamingo hotel, which has a great location and reasonable rates, even though you won’t get a jet-setting experience. For many folks, the Flamingo and BWA work just fine. (Suggested vendor session at BI 2012: “Business Warehouse Accelerator or SAP HANA: Which one is right for your company's analytics?”).
I’m sure many of you out there can add to this list, so let me know by posting a comment.
Follow Scott on Twitter @BI_Expert