Here are some BI best practices taken from a presentation Waldemar Adam’s is giving at BI 2013 taking place June 11-13 in Amsterdam -- Strategies for Bringing Business and IT Leaders Together to Develop a BI Strategy That Supports Organizational Goals.
BI Best Practices Summary
- Find a high-level executive sponsor
- Define and prioritize business needs
- Gap assessment of current vs. future capabilities needed
- Build capabilities needed using a roadmap
How do you organize cross-functionally around BI Strategy?
- Create a Business Intelligence Competency Center (BICC).
- Some interesting visuals from Waldemar’s presentation highlighting the why and how of building a BICC.
- BICC skills requirements
- Business Skills:
- Understanding of line-of-business (LOB) needs
- Ability to help business managers set and balance priorities by analyzing consequences of choices and creating business cases
- An understanding of the organization's strategic business objectives and the role action-oriented information plays in achieving the corporate objectives
- Stewardship skills to drive standardization of official hierarchies, business vocabularies and other relevant business terminology, and to participate in semantic reconciliation and ongoing data-quality efforts
- IT Skills:
- Ability to understand the business intelligence infrastructure implications of business and analytic requirements
- Deep understanding of how to access and manage data required to suppo
rt business and analysis requirements
- Deep understanding of diverse business intelligence and performance management tools and technologies
- Understanding of the differences in design and access characteristics of diverse data sources
- Data governance, architecture and management skills
- Data administration and metadata management skills
- Analytical Skills
- Fluency with key analytic applications
- Researching business problems and creating models that help analyze these business problems
- Working with the IT department to develop insight into how to identify data for a specific analysis or application
- Skills to train the users in how to transform data into action-oriented information, and how to use that information
Waldemar will also be presenting a sessin on Self-service data discovery for business users and analysts using SAP Visual Intelligence.
To learn more click here to see the full conference agenda and download the conference brochure.
For more information on Waldemar Adams' sesessions att BI 2013 in Amsterdam, download the brochure, join the
conversation on Twitter #2013 and follow me @BridgetKotelly.