Shankar Muthuswamy’s presentation at BI 2013 -- A Field-Tested Guide to Implementing a High-Performing SAP BusinessObjects BI 4.0 Solution That Your Users Will Love and Adopt – is packed with useful information. The presentation offers a comprehensive look at tactics and strategies for overcoming SAP BusinessObjects BI 4.0 implementation challenges. Here are some recommendations for mobile deployment best practices:
New Mobile capabilities in SAP BusinessObjects BI 4.0
- Mobile extensions from your desktop deployments are greatly simplified
- SP5 now automatically deploys the Mobile servers with BI 4.0 installation
- To extend a report to your Mobile device, simply create a new category called “Mobile” and save the report to this category
- Install SAP BusinessObjects BI on your VPN enabled Mobile device and connect to the BusinessObjects Server
This is not however to say that all reports will look good on an iPad or any other Mobile device!
- The screen space is limited on a Mobile device and so is the memory and bandwidth
- A large report will be difficult to navigate on a small screen
- Not all components render well on Mobile
Tips for Mobile Document Design in SAP BusinessObjects BI 4.0
- Design for the screen size! Create and use Mobile device templates using images of the target device as a background.
- Design small report views; leverage drill hierarchies to alleviate scrolling through large reports
- Make headers and names short and significant à CA for California, First initials + Last name instead of first & last, FY04 for Year 2004
- Create short data display formats à 1M instead of 10,000,000
- Use short meaningful names < 20 chars for document and report tabs. Report tabs become user selection list on the Mobile device.
- Use Relative position controls to maximize screen real estate
- Use the Java interface for SAP BusinessObjects BI for maximum formatting accuracy and control
Best practices to remember
- Choose the reports that best suits an on-the-go deployment. Plan in advance and design them to best display in a Mobile environment!
- Use a mobile device simulator on your desktop to simulate the user experience when you are authoring business intelligence content designed for mobile users!