These tips for assessing costs of SAP HANA implementation; and preparing a business case are courtesy of Hettie Tabor form Accenture who is presenting at BI 2013 taking place March 19-22 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
Determining the True Cost of SAP HANA
Factors to keep in mind when pricing SAP HANA
- HANA Software — Licensed by SAP
- Note: There are different license costs for SAP HANA vs. SAP NetWeaver BW on SAP HANA
- Tip: SAP has said it will not discount SAP HANA, but you may be able to make deals with other products
- Hardware Appliance
- Hardware is priced by each vendor (e.g., HP)
- Pricing is based on size
- Consulting Services
- SAP NetWeaver BW on SAP HANA can be done almost entirely offshore to reduce costs
Preparing the Business for SAP HANA
- User access is moving towards “pivot-like” access. The movement to self-service for business users requires tools that are easier to use and intuitive with limited or no training.
- The types of users include a new user type “the Analytic” &m
dash; Business people who answer questions and build their own queries
- Business users are becoming more of the development framework, not just identifying requirements
- If your users are not familiar with SAP BusinessObjects, end-user training should be developed for the specific tools
- User training should be based on real-life analytics
- There should be different training for business analytics and power users and end users
- The business users don’t touch SAP HANA — Only SAP BusinessObjects XI
For more information on SAP HANA, as well as other SAP BI reporting, analytics and reporting tools and strategies, join me at BI 2013. Click here for a full conference schedule.