This HR tip comes courtesy of Venki Krishnamoorthy, an independent consultant who is speaking at our upcoming HR 2013 event, 11-13 June in Amsterdam! Learn the terminologies you should know in a SuccessFactors implementation.
- Cloud computing: Use of software applications that are delivered as a service over the enterprise network or over the Internet
- These applications are accessed by users by using a Web browser, mobile device, or a thin client
- The devices used to access these applications are location-independent
- The vendor providing the application is responsible for maintaining the applications, as well as the infrastructure that hosts these applications
- The software, as well as the user’s data (enterprise data), resides in servers that are outside the enterprise firewall
- SaaS (software as a service): This is a software delivery model in which the software or application and its related data are hosted on the cloud
- Users can access the application from a thin client or over the Internet
- SaaS is also referred to as on-demand software
- Single tenancy: The users of the cloud application have their own instance of the database and the application (Both the database and the application are hosted on the cloud)
- Customers of single tenancy have the benefit of having a customized solution, as well an enhanced security
- Multi-tenancy: Multiple customers have access to the same applications and the related data are hosted on the same server
- With proper security and authorizations, the users are restricted to viewing their data only
- Since the same instance of the software is accessed by different customers, the software application is installed with basic configuration and there is limited scope for customization or enhancements
Learn about this and more in Amsterdam. There is still time to register for HR 2013! Register by June 9 to save €100!