Motivating a customer to complete a purchase has always been a challenge for sales and marketing professionals. In the physical world, a shop owner can interpret body language and verbal cues to respond to individual needs and desires. While personal interactions help drive customer engagement, this approach does not scale to large audiences. Over the years, companies have tried different methods to attract, convert, and retain customers, but so far none have been able to fully achieve one-to-one individualized customer engagement.
An approach known as contextual marketing aims to bridge this gap. With a contextual marketing approach, marketers use information gathered from across various channels and relevant sources to develop a complete picture of a customer’s specific context, and then determine the best next step. For example, if an online customer has been hovering over a product image for several minutes, data on this customer might predict an imminent purchase. After eight minutes, an additional incentive such as free shipping can be offered to help nudge the customer toward conversion.
The key to contextual marketing is to understand the customer’s specific intent at the moment of engagement and act in a timely fashion. So, how can SAP customers harness this approach to make customer engagement a truly individuated interaction?
Enter SAP hybris Marketing
The SAP hybris Marketing solution enables organizations to put contextual marketing into practice. It provides real-time intelligence derived from a single enriched view that blends together customer information across channels and relevant sources, including data on previous interactions, future propensity scores, and current, in-the-moment intentions.
To successfully implement a contextual marketing approach, you need real-time insight into customer intent, the ability to deliver a truly unique customer experience across channels, and the ability to react to information with speed and agility. Each of these three areas is managed by a component of SAP hybris Marketing, which customers can choose to implement on an individual basis to take advantage of specific capabilities required by the organization.
Real-Time Insight into Customer Intent
Customer intent is determined by analyzing all available data, especially current customer information; listening to both explicit (such as purchases) and implicit (page clicks and search data, for instance) behavior across channels; and blending all relevant data in real time.
SAP hybris Marketing includes the following components to enable organizations to gain this insight:
- Data management: Continuously enriched profiles from interactions and sources enable you to track context, interests, and predictions for a real-time, 360-degree customer view. It allows you to understand both known and unknown customers in real time and to visually analyze customer behavior patterns by leveraging a single, blended view of both structured and unstructured data.
- Segmentation: The visualization and exploration tools in this component enable you to slice and dice data on the fly for high-performance customer segmentation. The waterfall user interface with its rich set of targeting operations makes it easy to build complex segmentation trees.
- Recommendation: Predictive analytics allow you to obtain context-relevant, intelligent recommendations in real time based on previous purchasing behavior. Self-learning models help you provide customers with the most appealing offers, and cross-selling and upselling capabilities help to increase conversion rates and average sales order size.
A Unique Customer Experience
In many cases, purchase decisions are based in large part on a buyer’s emotional reaction to a brand, which is heavily influenced by the quality and personalization of the experience. Since people typically browse many channels before making a purchase, their experience across channels must be consistent to help nudge their decision process forward.
SAP hybris Marketing helps companies create a consistent and relevant customer experience with the following components:
- Conversion: This component allows you to leverage online browsing behavior and purchase intent to retarget customer decision making and make it easier for them to convert. For instance, you can send an email reminder to a customer who abandons a shopping cart with an option to return and complete the purchase with one click, or you can serve display ads based on recently viewed content.
- Acquisition: Planning and execution functionality enables you to deliver personalized and targeted multitouch campaigns through a variety of channels, including email, SMS, and direct mail. You can also receive aggregated campaign performance information and detailed analytics at individual engagement levels.
- Retention: This component enables you to create multichannel loyalty programs with points and rewards that help to improve customer retention rates, increase customer lifetime values, and encourage brand advocacy and referrals.
React with Speed and Agility
In a dynamic business environment, organizations need to react quickly to capitalize on customer opportunities before they disappear. In particular, marketers need to better align resources such as campaigns, teams, and budgets, and keep a finger on the pulse of performance to make mid-course adjustments in a timely manner.
SAP hybris Marketing provides the following components to help marketers accomplish these tasks:
- Planning: Planning tools enable you to align marketing teams with transparent marketing plans and manage the complete budgeting process, including gaining real-time insight into budgets and expenses (see Figure 1). A single calendar view of all relevant marketing activities enables you to manage campaigns from one central location, and monitoring functionality allows you to keep track of marketing performance metrics.
- Orchestration: This component allows you to organize customer engagements throughout the customer journey. You can plan customer engagements based on channels, customers, and content to provide relevant interactions for both inbound and outbound engagements. You can also optimize contact strategies across channels and content to reduce customer fatigue and to tighten budgets.
- Insights: A management dashboard enables you to gain a real-time understanding of marketing performance, including relevant marketing key performance indicators (KPIs) across the organization. You can quickly identify opportunities and drill down for insight into segments, products, channels, budgets, campaigns, and assets.
Pulling It All Together with an Integrated Platform
SAP hybris Marketing is built on a single, fully integrated technology foundation that enables a unified view of customer information through data integration and data management capabilities. It enables organizations to fully adhere to the strictest data privacy regulations, and it can blend both structured and unstructured data, as well as manage anonymous customers.
SAP hybris Marketing supports out-of-the-box integration with various applications to further enhance your customer engagement environment. Integration with SAP hybris Commerce allows groups and segments defined in SAP hybris Marketing to receive more targeted content throughout the commerce experience, and increases opportunities for cross-selling, upselling, and conversions via product recommendations and remarketing abandoned shopping carts, for instance. Integration with SAP Cloud for Customer enables organizations to accurately target, advance, and convert leads into sales. Integration with SAP Customer Relationship Management (SAP CRM) allows companies to deliver more relevant experiences to target audiences and segments across sales, service, and marketing processes.
SAP hybris Marketing also provides standard integrations with other select third-party marketing technology providers. The open application programming interfaces (APIs) and flexible architecture facilitates integration into any existing systems in customer landscapes, enabling a true end-to-end customer engagement environment.
A Modern Marketing Approach
Modern marketing requires a sophisticated blend of insights, the delivery of compelling customer experiences, and the agility to match and exceed customer expectations. The SAP hybris Marketing solution uses real-time intelligence to enable marketers to deliver engaging experiences across an array of channels, empowering companies to present their marketing messages to an audience of one, and sell with greater speed, agility, and accuracy.
Delivered either on-premise or in the cloud, SAP hybris Marketing is available for implementation in its entirety, or customers can choose to tailor the solution to their unique organizational needs by implementing components individually. Learn more at www.hybris.com/en/marketing.