In my earlier blog, I gave a brief overview of the IS-U Data Migration Workbench. In continuation, I have summarized how this tool helps in reducing the need for ABAP development for the upload programs.
SAP does not deliver standard upload programs in the ISUMIG Tool. The import program for a migration object is dynamically generated utilizing the customization of the “migration object.” A “migration object” consists of “auto structures” that further contain the field level details. Each field in an auto structure can be customized with different processing rules for the data. Without going into too much of the technical details, most commonly used processing types are:
- Initial – initializes a field – i.e. the field is not to be used in the object.
Value - defines default values for the field for all records.
- Transfer – legacy data is to be “transferred” as-is without any interim processing.
- Rule - legacy data can be processed with an ABAP rule – simple or complex ABAP rules can be added for the additional field processing.
- Via KSM – legacy data value needs to be validated, checked and processed utilizing the ISUMIG KSM table – e.g. for referencing the higher-level objects. As a result, the SAP newkey of the higher-level object is transferred for processing.
- Conversion – a mapping cross-reference table can be defined for various legacy values mapping to SAP values using this processing type.
The “migration object” also consists of various predefined migration events that the ABAP code gets generated against. The events, combined with the field rules, together facilitate in the import program generation. The import program cannot be altered using the ABAP editor. These programs can be modified or enhanced using these migration events and/or the specific field rules. Therefore, each migration object needs to be generated or “activated” after each modification to the field rule or a migration event.
Thus, utilizing this tool efficiently, to its maximum capability; aids in reducing the extensive ABAP development for the conversion upload programs.