Tip Doctor, Insider Learning Network.
This tip comes from a BI 2011 Presentation by Steve Mutch and Ian Millea of Shell International.
One of the biggest challenges when adopting SAP BusinessObjects BI solutions is integrating the tools within an SAP NetWeaver BW (or SAP ERP) environment. Check out the below 3 tips below from Shell International for smooth SAP BusinessObjects integration, specifically for hierarchy reporting from an XI3 toolset:
1. Include “dummy” hierarchy levels on the SAP NetWeaver BW side to cater for hierarchy level extension within SAP ERP/SAP NetWeaver BW that will not adversely affect the SAP
BusinessObjects universe integration
- When a universe is created and contains an InfoObject that has a hierarchy activated, the universe will automatically generate a Dimension for each hierarchy level included in that hierarchy
- However, if additional node levels are created later, these deeper nodes will not flow through automatically to the universe and reports based from there
- Dummy nodes should be included past the current deepes
t level maintained in the production system
2. Remove unassigned nodes from hierarchies in SAP NetWeaver BW to remove unnecessary joins and speed up SAP BusinessObjects Web Intelligence performance
- ABAP program can be written to reassign within the overall hierarchy, which can be scheduled after each hierarchy master data load
- Also within RSH1 you select “Suppress Unassigned Nodes”
3. Avoid using navigational attributes (particularly with hierarchies)
- This avoids additional table joins on the SAP NetWeaver BW level which when used with hierarchies greatly increases the cross-joins within MDX when passed/flattened to SAP BusinessObjects
More SAP BusinessObjects information, tips and advice are available on Insider Learning Network's SAP BusinessObjects Group.